YouTube advertising has undergone significant changes, and if you're currently running ads that are not performing as they used to, you might be missing out on the crucial shifts that have taken place. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the key changes in YouTube advertising, the fundamental principles of running successful YouTube ad campaigns, and how to target the right audience for your business.
YouTube advertising has evolved from using keywords for targeting to more sophisticated methods. Previously, ads were eligible to show on videos based on the keywords entered in the YouTube search bar. However, the platform now relies on custom Google audiences and custom URL audiences for better targeting, making YouTube ads more powerful and effective.
Utilize the power of YouTube targeting by leveraging Google's Insights Finder, which enables you to uncover valuable audience insights pertaining to interests, demographics, and other relevant factors. These valuable insights will enable you to identify new audience segments and gauge their impact on your Return on Investment (ROI).
Next, leverage the Reach Planner to discover optimal strategies for engaging with your audience effectively. With your target audience in mind, the Reach Planner will recommend the ideal combination of video ads that align with your specific objectives and budget, ensuring maximum impact and success.
Once you have identified the search terms and URLs relevant to your target audience, it's time to create custom audiences on both Google Ads and YouTube. Here's how you can do it:
1. Custom Google Audiences: Based on the search terms people use, create a list of custom Google audiences. These audiences will be interested in your offerings because they have been actively searching for relevant information.
2. Custom URL Audiences: Identify specific URLs that your target audience visits when seeking solutions related to your business. Create a list of custom URL audiences to target these individuals when they watch videos on YouTube.
Remember, your audience research is critical in ensuring your ads reach the right people, increasing the likelihood of conversions.
Now that you have done the groundwork, it's time to set up your YouTube ads on the Google Ads platform. Follow these steps to get started:
1. Create a Google Ads Account: If you don't already have one, go to ads.google.com and sign up for a Google Ads account. If you have an existing account, make sure it's set to expert mode.
2. Link Google Ads and YouTube Accounts: Linking your Google Ads and YouTube accounts is crucial for effective communication between the platforms. This will enable your ads to show up on YouTube seamlessly.
3. Conversion Tracking: Set up conversion tracking to measure the success of your ads. Define key actions that users take on your website, such as registering for webinars or making purchases, and create corresponding conversion events.
4. Create Conversion Action Manually: Based on the key actions you identified, create conversion actions manually on Google Ads. This will help you track the success of your ad campaigns accurately.
Running profitable YouTube ads requires a strategic approach and a deep understanding of your target audience. By conducting thorough audience research, creating custom audiences, and setting up your YouTube ads correctly on the Google Ads platform, you can maximize the effectiveness of your campaigns and grow your business effectively.
Remember, YouTube advertising has evolved, and staying updated with the latest trends and strategies is essential for success. Implement the principles outlined in this guide, and you'll be on your way to running successful YouTube ad campaigns that drive results for your business.
Learn more about Youtube Ads here.